09 June 2010

My botched Wednesday

    I had made plans to spend the afternoon with my Mom. When morning came, it started raining here. I know my Mom doesn't like to go out when it's raining if she doesn't have to and i try to avoid going out when it's raining, because if my back gets too cold i get a flare up(from fibromyalgia).
   So i called my Mom this morning and we decided to cancel our plans for today. We're still going to get together on a nice weather day, we'll just have to wait for that day to arrive.
   I was sitting here reading. Right now i'm reading 'The Crimson Chalice' by Victor Canning. I had put my book down for a minute and then forgot what i was going to do, so i was looking around me trying to remember...and the phrase 'the new key to an ancient enigma' got stuck in my mind. I was trying to figure out where it came from. I knew that i must have picked it up from somewhere. You see i've been an incurable obsessive bookworm ever since i was given a book for my 10th birthday (that book, my first book, was 'Anne of Green Gables', and yes i do still have that book). So, i've picked up the habit that when i don't have a book or magazine in my hands, and i'm not doing anything i look around me and read anything that i possibly can. I've read descriptions on boxes, street signs millions of times, advertisements on the street, i read anything that has any writing, if it's something like a licence plate that just has random letters than i make up silly sentences to go with them. Many times i will do these things while i'm thinking of something else and i'm barely aware that i've read something, or made up a silly sentence.
   So, to shorten this story a bit, i started looking around me and try to figure out where i'd read that sentence. It took a while, but eventually i found it. To explain a bit, my bookcase is right next to my computer desk, so i finally realized the sentence 'new key to an ancient enigma' is the sentence on the front of a book that is on the right side of my book case on a shelf that is the same height as the top of my desk. So, mystery solved! The name of 'that' book is 'Solving Stonehenge'. And it was a very good book! I remember that after i'd finished reading it i went back and re-read a few of the most interesting chapters.
   I highly recommend both of these books, they are fascinating, captivating and they both held my interest throughout. You see i've read so many books that it is not often anymore that a book will keep me interested from page one all the way through to the end. Even if a book doesn't keep my interest i still read it through to the end. Once i've started reading a book i just have to finish it. I guess i'm just a hopeless bookworm.  On a scale of 1-10 how much of a bookworm do you think i am? I'm anxious to find out what your response will be!!!

2 comments:

  1. I say you are a 10 being the biggest book worm.

    Me on the other hand I fall way off the other end of this scale. heehheh unless it comes to my son who I am always reading to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad to hear you're reading to your son...at least it gives you a little bit of a reading experience.

    ReplyDelete