04 June 2010

Migraine hanging on

I'm quite tired and run down from having this migraine for the last 5 days, so i guess tonite i'm just going to go through my thoughts. There is a blog i like to read because i get more differing opinions on American politics than i can get anywhere else, since he posts excerpts from many different sources. What i don't like is when he makes comments bashing the religion of Islam.
  I understand that he, and i and everyone else is entitled to their opinions. However i worry a little about the hundreds of followers he has. Will they assimilate his view because they trust him, or because they've noticed that they agree with him on 98% of issues that he brings to his blog through his personal posts (meaning non-excerpt posts, or personal comments made before or after the excerpts). I'm trying not to be judgemental or critical. I'm just typing-out-loud, instead of thinking-out-loud. I really hope that those people are making their own judgements and not just following the herd.

Here's a hopefully short story about my view of Islam. I will readily admit that I don't know all that much about the religion, though i would love to learn anything i can about it.  Anyway, at the age of 15 i met this girl who helped me through a period where my depression was very bad, shortly after the first time i was raped. Her and i became very close!! She did not wear hijab (i think that's the right term, but if i am wrong please correct me) at that time. It was about 4 or 5 months before i was invited into her home. When i walked into her house i was pleasantly surprised, her whole family was as kind, considerate and understanding as her. There was a feeling of calm and acceptance in the home. I'm 32 now and lost touch with her, we'll call her K.A., many years ago. I often wish that i knew where she was now, i deeply regret that we did not get to continue our friendship, i moved to Sudbury at the same time K.A. and her family were moving to Toronto. She was proof to me that what most refer to as 'the religion of peace' can be just that. Unfortunately like in everything else you can get some bad 'seeds' that ruin the reputation for others. I respect and admire Muslims and always will. Others have tried to convince me otherwise, but they can not change the experiences i had with K.A. and her family i will love them and admire them for the rest of my life.
ok maybe short story turned out to be long. Sorry if this was too long. I needed to get my opinion out. I would very much like to hear what anyone has to say on anything i said here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment